Sunday, April 08, 2007

A new member of the household

We are now officially one of the seven households in Singapore who has hired a maid.

Economically, it makes sense. It's not that expensive to maintain a maid every month, and the key advantage is that with a domestic helper to take care of the practical aspects like housekeeping, it frees up time to do more important things. In our case, the maid plays a more vital role - she is also responsible for looking after Ian while we are at work. Of course we’ve heard about the horror stories, but I don't think we have much of a choice. And neither do the other ones in seven households. And it's the same on the flip side of it - these ladies don't have much of a choice in striving for a better life for their families, except to work here.

At first we considered sending Ian to infant care. But after reconsidering, a maid is still the preferred route, as everyone at home agrees that Ian thrives better under/will not survive without personalised care. After three unlucky misses, we finally got ourselves an Indonesian lady whom we think is mature and responsible enough to carry out her duties, and be a part of the household for the next two years. I'm just worried that Ian wouldn't take to her. Either way I know my son, and he's not the easiest kid to take care of. The Man and I shared a thought - of all the horror stories we've heard about maids, maybe this one will throw in the towel and have her share of horror stories to tell about Ian. Who knows?

Anyhow it's a great relief that it's finally been settled. Notwithstanding the fact that it's not the end of the world, but it's very stressful when it comes to having to source for a good caregiver for Ian, and especially during a time when it's peak season at work.

Fortunately I've been able to take leave this week to spend some time with Ian, and I must say that it's tiring no doubt, but rather enjoyable. We've settled into a routine and these few days I really relish the quality time that we got to spend together at the playground, the supermarket, the park and even IKEA. Of course occasional whims of doing this full time did flash across my mind and it is tempting at times - especially the freedom, I love the freedom! - but in time, all in good time.

Meanwhile my little one has developed new patterns once more. What's in fashion currently is the 'shake your head' syndrome, first meaning
But cuteness and all, I wonder where he got his really feisty temper from...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home