Wednesday, September 14, 2005

How do you mend this worry-wart?

It's the flu season again - apart from me, others around me are also falling sick, and in the northern hemisphere Ewil Jan is also in agony. Maybe it's the air-conditioned environment we all work in - an increasing must in the scorching tropics, but we enjoy comfort in exchange for weaker immunity. In fact, all those news reports about increasing dengue infections and the emergence of a more severe strain are hitting the right worry buttons in my brain. Not one to give in to panic easily, nevertheless this is getting to be disturbing, and perhaps is the cause of my morning sickness flare-up once more. After all there is only so much you can psycho yourself when the hormones are running amok inside.

My mother is somewhat of a worrier, and the past 20+ years I have convinced myself that the size of my heart is definitely bigger than hers, if not more robust. She has retorted simply that it's just a matter of time that we (my bro included) begin to walk the parenting path, and she'll be around to see us swallow our bold words so flippantly spewed years ago. Ah such are the uncelebrated parenting rewards! Anyhow being the worry-wart that she is, she is also hardly ever wrong.

So as much as I wish it were otherwise, but I'm showing signs of inheriting her worry-wartness. I worry about getting the flu again, I worry about a spotted mozzie drawing my precious blood and leaving a death ticket, I worry about the Down's Syndrome test I'm going to take for Sweet Pea this friday, I worry that I won't be a good enough mother, and I worry about my inability to chuck my lovely bears and zany giraffe in the cupboard. I worry when Kenneth has to fly overseas for work, and I get upset when I get occasional feelings of isolation - Sweet Pea is still too young to make its presence known, and nobody really understands how it feels at this point in time. So no the radiance hasn't come, nor has the glow descended for me to bask in it. I just try my best to blot out as much as I can, carry on life as normal, and indulge in relaxing activities like music-listening, light-reading, tv and sleep. Oh and practise active mind psychology that sounds a lot like,"I should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky..."

How can you stop the rain from falling down, and how do you mend this worry-wart?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home