I think Baby, therefore I am...
Mother nature sure has its way of prepping a mother for motherhood. It's not just physical aspects of it (i.e. fat stores, swollen breasts, hormones and super elastic skin) but to some extent, the mental and sleep faculties as well. Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe I haven't been taking care of myself as well as I should, but I've noticed a distinct pattern where I would wake up in the middle of the night (approx 2-3am) with a very unsettled tummy, and wouldn't be able to fall back to sleep unless I'm tanked up with some food. It's not a middle of night craving thing - it's a clockwork gastric lurking in the shadows, threatening to flare up and it's not the most welcoming of things.
Perhaps I should cut out the fruit intake at 9pm. Then again perhaps it's perfectly normal at this stage, but now I do understand how a baby feels when he wakes up in the middle of the night with an empty tummy. Not the most fun thing to wake up to. So either nature is tuning my emphatic senses to that of my baby's so that we mothers don't hold it against our poor hungry child for nightfeeds, or I'm simply so intuned with my child that I am turning into one. Either way, waking up at night now is so normal for me (it used to be no-go in the past!) that it reminds me about how seemingly difficult and daunting things will eventually regulate to normalcy.
35 weeks today and all report checks done yesterday have passed with flying colours. Weight gain 'under control', BP 'good', and no sugar in the urine! What a relief! But as I pass the 70 kilo threshold, I can no longer delude myself about the fat pads around my body - the arms, the bum, the waist, my face... Ken keeps reminding me how fortunate I am to be blessed with my height and that it could've been worse, but I have seriously not gone this far before with my weight and I sometimes feel like the marshmellow (wo)man amid all those thin, buttless women with their chic bags and pointy heels in City Hall.
But Sweet Pea, I've got you babe! And that's all that really matters.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home